Friday, December 07, 2007
My Sister's Keeper
This is not an advertisement. I'm writing this, because I feel that I should introduce this book. I read the chinese version, which was about 3cm thick (I can't measure now because I've lent it to my cousin). I started reading at around 12.30 in the morning (am). After the first page, I was so eager to know what was going to happen next. In the end, I finished the whole book by 6 in the morning... and I kept crying while reading!
[Plot summary from Wikipedia]
Anna came into the world by in vitro fertilization so that she would be a genetic match for her older sister Kate, who was diagnosed with acute promyelocytic leukemia when she was 2 years old. When Anna was born, her cord blood was donated to her sister, but when the leukemia returned she then had to donate blood and bone marrow. When Kate's kidneys fail Anna is expected to donate a kidney to save her sister, but she hires a lawyer to be medically emancipated from her parents and gain the right to make the decision for herself. Her lawyer, Campbell Alexander, works for her pro bono.
At the end of the book it is revealed that the reason Anna initiated the lawsuit was because her sister didn't want her to donate the kidney. After the trial she is granted medical emancipation but, just as Anna is about to reveal her decision if she wants to give Kate her kidney or not, she becomes brain dead unexpectedly of a closed-head injury suffered in a car crash. As Campbell Alexander has power of attorney over Anna's medical decisions he grants the use of Anna's kidney for her sister Kate. In the epilogue of the book we see that Kate survived the transplant, even though the doctors thought she might be too weak to survive. Kate believes that the reason she survived is because Anna took her place in heaven.
I tried to imagine it. If the whole point of my existance was merely to save another life, how would I feel? If the moment I was born, my parents weren't thinking about me, but about my cord blood, how would I feel? How far would I go if I were in Anna's place? Should we ask for more and more sacrifices if we know that the chances of a patient's survival is near to impossibility?
In fact, everyone in Anna's family was in pain. I felt upset for everyone of them. The parents wouldn't bear to give up even the slightest chance to save their daughter, even though they knew they owe Anna and Jesse so much. They wanted to care for Anna and Jesse so much, but they, especially Sara, couldn't leave Kate alone, for even a minute. The siblings, had to give up normal life because of their sister's deadly disease. They hated this kind of life, but they know they had to do it for Kate. Anna and Kate were just like normal sisters if it wasn't because of the disease. Kate could hardly see her future. She chose to give up. Anna wanted Kate to live, but she refused to donate her kidney. Deep in their hearts, there was a violent war going on, two opposing desires.
The ending was so surprising.
Surprisingly cruel. Surprisingly warm.
This book had me totally immersed. It kept my thinking for a long time even after I finished reading the last sentence. I wonder about the meaning behind everything.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


2 comments:
Wah, seem like really very interesting. I will try to get this book and read, but if the book not that good as u said then u know.. Haha
erm..tot u would borrow me de..who knows u ask me buy myself..good ar u..very good ppl..hehe..okie..i have somehow interest to this book because u cried..hee:p..
Post a Comment