Pages

Wednesday, March 24, 2010

In the midst of dissection course

Oh I'm supposed to be studying. I guess people always have a false impression that human body is rather symmetrical. One hand at one side, 5 fingers on each hand, 1 eye and half a nose on each halve of the face etc. Or is it just me who thought this way? Haha... well it seems to be simple at the outside. Once you peel off the skin and start learning the things WITHIN, oh gosh... I wonder why I never expected human body to be so complicated.

The heart is not as simple as it seems in secondary (even A-levels) text books. Some people can live perfectly fine with a hole in the heart. Right kidney is lower than the left kidney. A head, has many many many many nerves, arteries and veins in it. AND, I have to memorise most of them... It's amazing that a body can have so many structures yet they're all rather organized.

This dissection doesn't feel as exciting as the last. Maybe I've got used to it? Today in the dissection room, I looked at the face of the cadaver (well, the skin is reflected and both cheeks are opened to show muscles and things inside already), and suddenly realized that, we were dissecting a human. A human, who some time ago, ate and walked and talked and felt. I'm not sure why, but it surprised me that the fact of "we are dissecting humans" hasn't crossed my mind until now.

Honestly, I really really respect those who donate their bodies. Although the chinese name for cadaver is rather long, and, er, sounds kinda weird to me, but I think it's absolutely right to call them 大体老师. Afterall, they're really teachers who don't talk.

No comments: