Pages

Saturday, August 08, 2009

Stress Busters

I'm sure stress is going to be part of my life for the next... ... hm... whole life? Haha... But never mind, weaknesses can be overcome. I know I've seen uncountable articles and listened to various advices on this topic, but there's one article I found online, I'd like it to serve as a reminer for me whenever I need it in the future. There're just the same old things I've heard over and over again. But, I'm posting it here with the hope that someday one of the tips will come in handy. We need some simple guide to achieve great things.

Simplify - Cut your to-do list in half. How? Ask yourself this question after every item: Will I die tomorrow if this doesn't get accomplished? I'm guessing you'll get a lot of no's.

(uh... well, of course not leaving every minor things behind, but keep in mind that it's not the end of the world if we fail to do one little thing on the to-do-list. In other words, try your best and it's the best you can do)

Prioritize


(Make sure we deal with minor tasks after all the (urgent) major ones are done though. Too bad major stuffs never stop coming right? Haha)

Use Pencil, Not Pen - Because one important stress buster is to try to stay as flexible as you can. Things change! And change is not our enemy, even though our brain categorizes it as such. You want to be able to erase a task or reminder at any time, because who the heck knows what your day will be like.


(I personally don't like sudden changes much, but... alright, be flexible. However, I still prefer pens than pencils)

Give Away Your Cape - If you haven't already guessed by now, you are not a superpower and don't possess supernatural qualities and capabilities. I'm sorry, but you're going to have to join the race ... the human race. Which means surrendering to limitations and conditions--like the number of hours in a day (24) and the amount of time it takes to get from point A to point B. In your car. Not in your bat mobile.

(use whatever we have to the fullest)

Collaborate and Cooperate


(a helping hand and team work, I've learnt, are simply beautiful)

Laugh - Just as chronic and severe stress can damage organic systems in our body, humor can heal. When people laugh, the autonomic nervous system mellows out and the heart is allowed to relax. Laughter can also boost the immune system, as it has been found to increase a person's ability to fight viruses and foreign cells, and reduce the levels of three stress hormones: cortisol, epinephrine, and dopac. Plus it's just fun to laugh. And having fun is it's own stress buster.


Exercise - Exercise relieves stress in several ways. First, cardiovascular workouts stimulate brain chemicals that foster growth of nerve cells. Second, exercise increases the activity of serotonin and/or norepinephrine. Third, a raised heart rate releases endorphins and a hormone known as ANP, which reduces pain, induces euphoria, and helps control the brain's response to stress and anxiety. You need not to run a marathon or complete an ironman. A quick stroll in the morning or in the evening might be just enough to tell the stress hormones in your blood to scatter.


(maybe I should put a photo of someone jogging or swimming, but the tennis balls do look nice)

Stop Juggling - I realize some multi-tasking is inevitable in our rushed culture. But do we really have to simultaneously cook dinner, talk to Mom, help with homework, and check e-mail?

Build Boundaries - Speaking of activities, get some boundaries, ASAP--meaning designate a place and time for certain things so that your brain doesn't have to wear so many hats at the same time.


(like, no thinking about revision while eating? hehe)

Think Globally - Put it another way: Don't sweat the small stuff, and most of it is small stuff.

(I think it means be grateful for such a relatively good life we're living ^^ )




So... fight stress! Turn it into motivation rather than burden. Deal?

P/S I'm talking to myself =p

No comments: