Pages

Friday, April 24, 2009

It happened at last

You have no idea how many times have I wished for this moment since I stepped into KTT. It was (once) my only goal for being there. 

The trial was held one week before the entrance exam of First Faculty of Medicine, Charles University in Prague. And I was a bit annoyed by this. All I wanted to do was study for entrance! But yet I didn't have the courage to totally give up my trial. So I endured the one week of studying for internal exam, hoping that it would end as soon as possible so that I could start with entrance exam. Naturally, I expect my trial result to be a disaster because my focus just wasn't at it...

Speaking of it, I was particularly thankful to all my classmates who contributed to doing notes for the entrance exam. It was when I felt the power of unity. The wish that all of us would succeed in the exam... well, at least I felt that way... For the whole week (and the few days before trial when I started doing notes for Biology), I was so busy cramming everything inside my brain of such limited capacity. At first I actually enjoyed studying these, but as 19th April drew nearer, I became more and more nervous. It was, after all, the one and only chance of entering Charles University in Prague. How I wished I could somehow forsee my destiny. How I dread the possibility of failing. Despite knowing that not everything was in our own hands, I couldn't stop myself feeling nervous everytime I (reluctantly, unevitably) imagined the day the result is announced. 

So came the 19th of April. So all 26 of us went to sit for the entrance exam. I don't know about the others, but I was very conscious about the significance of that day. The questions were difficult. Nothing much I've memorised seem to came out. So I had nothing to depend on besides the scarce knowledge in my head, and luck. Yeah. I'm extremely grateful to whoever gave me the luck. 

At the end of the exam, I knew the chances were slim. Whatever I said, in the bottom of my heart I furiously refused to give up hope. It definitely wasn't because I thought the questions were easy. It was the matter of holding on, keeping the hope alive however slim it is. I gave up the hopes of entering Prague before. I was extremely pessimistic about my AS before... but there I was, sitting in the exam hall for the entrance of Charles University. Giving up hope at the last minute? It couldn't be one of the options at all. 

After we arrived at KTT, I just couldn't bring myself to study. I knew I couldn't concentrate, so I ended up reading novel, online... anything to distract myself from the torturing thoughts and feelings of uncertainty. We were expecting the result at around 7pm, but it came at about 4 in the evening. Evon was one of the first to receive the sms from Mdm Salina. So I waited, listening to my rythmic heartbeats. Then came the message which contained one of the best news I've received.  I couldn't stop smiling. I had 50% success in my hand. 17 of us passed the entrance exam. I was so happy for myself and for them, but 9 of our classmates were unlucky that day. I know it must be a terrible feeling... 

The next day, 17 of us went for the interview at BestEd's office in Petaling Jaya (if I'm not mistaken). Again Evon was the first to be congratulated by the professor who interviewed us. The professor was very friendly. He asked about my hospital attachment, whether my family's supporting me, my hobbies (==")... besically nothing academically based, but he did revealed a bit of my result of entrance exam. I couldn't really catch the whole sentence about offering me the placement. What I heard were 'offer', 'placement', 'I see you're ------', 'congrats' and 'hope to see you in Prague in September'. Frankly, I LOVE that last sentence. =p

However, our hearts sank low when we found out at the end of the whole interview session that the placement wasn't confirmed as it was verbal. Luckily, the JPA officer who visited us the next day brought along the great news that all 17 of us passed the interview and we were offered the placement!! 

I felt like I was on a mental roller coaster during those 3 days. Hopes... uncertainty... disappointment... and I'm finally standing safely on the ground. I feel so relieved. After months in KTT, I could finally catch a glimpse of my destination, or the starting point of my next journey.

However, what I've got to do now is to make sure I obtain minimum 3Bs (12 points) in my coming A2 exam. I certainly don't want to let it ruin everything. Wish me good luck! Haha... 

P/S Thank you so much to everyone (family, friends etc.) who has helped me and given me support along the way. =) I appreciate you all with overwhelming gratitude.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey girl, congratulations.

So, I guess I'll see you in Prague then... Haha! You can show me around your university.

I'll be traveling to Prague next year, around March. Will you be there? Or on holiday?

You can do it. Have faith. ;-D

Charlotte said...

Yeah I'll be in Prague in March next year, if everything goes well ^^

Good luck in your traveling! Hope you'll enjoy yourself! Certainly looking forward to photos of Europe, haha... =)

Anonymous said...

hiao po~~so happy rite? i very hapy for u too :).. finally, u have realized ur dream of going abroad to study, though nt in England :p.. strive hard to survive k? gd luck for evytink too..i will miss u de:)

Caryn said...

dr a.. congratz leh....u sure can get it d... don't be so nervous ya!! haha... but don't 4gt 2 gather at least 1 more time before u study abroad ya!! hehe...coz i scare wait u will miz me vry much lo..haha..gd luck ya!!

Sujia said...

Yo buddy congratez for one more time. U had certainly done a good job. And u definitely can pass with flying colors in the coming A2. Left four months before u fly. Going to miss the time we had together after u fly off.

Anonymous said...

long time didnt come here dy, busy with my stuff... herm... congrates ya!!! actually i m quite blur about the things u mention.. just drop by, and to say jia u!! good luck too! time flies... when r u going actually?.. sorry.. too blur...

Charlotte said...

Thank you for dropping by!! ^^

If everything goes well I'll be going to Czech this September... =)