My First Aids practical exam was on 1st February, which was just one day before the Biophysics exam. If you don't know what this means, I can tell you I was never good at Physics and I hardly understood half of what the text book said. I always forgot what I studied. At first I thought First Aids wouldn't be a big a problem, but that was before I heard news that only about 1/3 of the people passed this test on first attempt and some failed twice. I was trying my best to remain optimistic, and initially I was doing fine, but the stress level increased exponentially (too much of Physics these few day) on the last day.
However the First Aids exam went well. In the least expected way. One of the nurses who taught us was very strict, and she didn't smile much during our practical lessons (but I think she's a good teacher), and she was rumoured to be the one who failed anyone for one tiny mistake. BUT, surprisingly, she was smiling all the while that day during the exam. She was obviously in one of her best mood ever. She let me pass despite 2 mistakes! Not major ones though =p I couldn't believe how lucky I was that day.
That night I came back from the First Aids and started my last minute revision for Biophysics. Somehow I felt much better than the day before. Maybe it's because I had witnessed how a situation can change, completely out of human's expectations.
When we got into the room, we were asked to choose a question from the list of covered questions on the table. It's something like a lucky draw. Imagine the importance of luck in our examination system. And I wasn't lucky at all. When I saw the first question, I was like (O.o), then the second, (X_X), then the 3rd, 'o...kay...'. After choosing the questions we were given some time to prepare on a piece of blank paper, so that we could present our knowledge orally to the examiner.
The first question was actually a frequently discussed question. The reason it was frequently discussed was because I could never understand fully. I tried my best to gather pieces of information about it from my brain, then proceed to the 2nd question, which I had COMPLETELY NO IDEA what was it about. I did something I almost never done in exams. Left it blank. I knew I should at least try to come up with some craps, but I really didn't know what kind of craps to write because I had not even the slightest idea what was it about!! I was able to write something about the 3rd question, although not a lot and not so confidently.
We were supposed to prepare our info in 20 minutes, but I ended up waiting for almost 1 hour because the people who came before me weren't done yet. I only spent about 15 minutes writing because I only wrote about 2 questions out of 3. The remaining time, I continued to try to grab some pieces of knowledge from my brain, sat there listening to the others answering the examiner's questions (which was heart-breaking... I could do most of their questions!! At least better than I could do mine! T.T)
But something strange was indeed going on. The examiner said I did very well in the first question, although in fact I was quite blur, but tried to speak as if I was very sure =p, and he gave me a 1 mark (the highest). Then I asked him whether we could skip the 2nd question first, he smiled and said yes (I think he knew I was totally lost by then)... I only talked about 1/4 of what I had prepared for the 3rd question, already he stopped me, asked me a few questions, and gave me another 1 mark (O_O). As expected, the 2nd question was a disaster. He said it was a pity because I did well in the other 2 questions, and he put a 'good' on my index book and signed! I couldn't believe it! I asked him "I passed, did I?" before I went out, but he merely smiled.... I guess it was a 'yes'? Actually I was still rather worried after I came out... but my friends assured me that a 'good' and a signature on the index book means pass... Why would he say 'good' if I failed?
So I passed. I just checked on the SIS, hehe. Under the not-so-optimistic situation (the questions...argh). Amazing huh? =p
Thank you. =) Human imagination is too limited to understand the twists and turns in our lives.
And, thank you to my friends who gave me encouragement when I was feeling stressed! I'd try my best to do better.
No comments:
Post a Comment